Sunday, October 24, 2010

Something of a Retreat, plus Re-Taking Baldur's Gate (Part 2 of 2)

Pickup up where we left off...

So first thing's first, I head to the Lady's Hall and make some sizable donations. See, everyboody? I'm a philanthropist and respectable citizen. My reputation levels out so I'm ready to start dealing with Sarevok as quickly and efficiently as possible. I head to the Iron Throne headquarters, kill a consort of his and get his diary, with the information that he is in the Undercellar? I may have misheard (misread) her there, though. Either way, I head down and find Sarevok's two assassins...kill them and take from one of them an invitation to Sarevok's upcoming coronation ceremony. I then head up to save Duke Eltan from his doppleganger doctor. Angelo is still staring at us as we pass him by. I took a risk coming in here, but he just gives us the same spiel as before. Whatever!

The evil members of my party finally start feeling at home, after a few Flaming Fist kills.  That won't last forever, though, once I'm about to donate some funds to a local temple.

Finding our way into the Undercellar...

Eltan saved.

Next is the coronation ceremony. Et cetera, et cetera, Sarevok is exposed to the city as the treacherous villain he really is. Just trying to start a war to tap into his murderous divinity...okay, I can see that. So I chase him down to the maze. Warned about traps almost immediately, great. I have only one or two potions of master thievery for Tiax and his damn 55 in detect traps, so after a while I decided I don't want to go on without a nice stash of those potions or a good amount of Find Traps memorized. I figured if we were to die in this maze, that's exactly what Sarevok would want. His plans were foiled and Baldur's Gate should be okay for now...the clock isn't ticking as furiously, and it seems like he has nowhere to go other than to await me at the Temple of Bhaal in the old city.

Crashing the party.

I don't like this maze.

I traveled back up to the Elfsong to rest and rememorize...we used a lot of our spells in the encounters leading up to this point. Bought some potions of master thievery and had both Tiax and Idaen memorize Find Traps several times. Should be somewhat prepared moving forward.


Sarevok has been completely exposed.  The best part?  The commoners think that he killed Rieltar, when the actual fact is that it was my party and I that did it.  We never had any qualms about it or tried to hide it, either.  Yeah, we were arrested and hunted completely legitimately.  Public opinion is a fickle thing, I guess.

Headed back into the maze and slowly navigated my way through. Didn't explore the whole area...wasn't too confident in my thief, didn't need the experience, and the plotline was calling. The gnome didn't perform half-badly, but as a level 5 cleric and a level 6 thief, he's only so useful. I headed into the old city (the "undercity"? Not sure what they're calling it). Started navigating my way through, and what do you know...Xzar gets killed by nothing less than a pack of ghasts. What the hell? Hey, my same sentiment applies from before. Sure, I can start barging forward with 5 members of my party, but that's exactly what Sarevok wants. Better let him wait while we come in at full strength...do things on my terms.

So again...went up to the surface to regroup and rest, get Xzar resurrected, etc.   Oh yeah, also bought a Wand of Monster Summoning.  Should be useful.  Headed back down.  By the way, walking back and forth through the maze gets a little tiring after a while. And we didn't explore the entire undercity area, either. We kind of stumbled upon the temple...this is it. Better not risk death and use up spells, but to just confront my nemesis when my party is strong. Of course, Tamoko got what was coming to her.

And...that's where the adventures end in this post. Waiting outside the Temple of Bhaal for the presumed final battle. I never got this far into BG1. Really making some milestones here...ha.

Party:

Idaen, lvl 7 cleric/lvl 7 ranger
Shar-Teel, lvl 7 fighter
Ajantis, lvl 8 paladin
Tiax, lvl 5 cleric/lvl 6 thief
Imoen, lvl 6 thief>lvl 9 mage
Xzar, lvl 9 necromancer

And now, an NPC update of appearances, locations, and fates:

Permanently Dead:

Faldorn/ Picked up, switched out, and accidentally left in the Cloakwood mines when it was flooded.
Minsc/ He attacked us in Nashkel after we wouldn't let him join the group...
Montaron/ Durlag's Tower trap vaporized him. Saddest perma-death of the game.
Safana/ Idaen was confused or charmed or something by a siren, and killed the innocent bystander Safana before anyone was able to talk to her.
Viconia/ We wouldn't help her, and she attacked us.

Encountered and Alive, but Not Coming Back:

Coran/ Picked him up for a brief trip up to Baldur's Gate. We ended up killing one too many Flaming Fist soldiers, so he stormed off when we let him go.
Dyanheir/ We didn't want to join with her at th gnoll stronghold, and she stormed off.
Edwin/ We didn't want to join with him either in Nashkel. I think he said he would still be there, but we never saw him again.
Garrick/ We weren't going to be bodyguards for 50gp a piece, so he politely apologized and walked off.

Encountered and Alive, with a Last Known Whereabouts:

Branwen/ Hanging around the Nashkel carnival.
Eldoth/ He's in Cloakwood. We weren't looking for a scheming bard.
Jaheira/ I let her go when I realized she and Khalid weren't doing it for me...they should be resting at the Beregost temple.
Kagain/ He is in Cloakwood, living and hunting (I guess) near the Shadow Druid hub. Replaced him with a druid.
Khalid/ Same as Jaheira.
Kivan/ Still in the High Hedge. We weren't looking for the help of a ranger at that point.
Quayle/ Outside the gates of Baldur's Gate. Didn't need his help, either.
Yeslick/ This guy was a good member of the group, but his dex wasn't helping. He's living out in the wilderness of the basilisk map.

Not Encountered:

Alora
Skie

No comments:

Post a Comment