Saturday, October 23, 2010

Something of a Retreat, plus Re-Taking Baldur's Gate (Part 1 of 2)

So, with Montaron gone forever, we packed our gear up and got the hell to the surface.  Maybe one day I'll return to Durlag's Tower, but it got the best of me for now.  It all hinges on finding the right thief.  I'm not comfortable heading back into there with a character with any less than 80 in trap detection.  Like I said last post, my party has met two thieves that we could possibly enlist: Coran and Tiax.

Marching north through the Firewine ruins.

So I headed up north into Flaming Fist territory.  Because we're all wanted, I stayed east of the main road...no point in being too public.  Ran into Yeslick, adventuring or wandering or waiting up where we left him.  He was nice enough to ask if we needed his help, but we're going to stick with Shar-Teel right now.  Actually, I got the idea of maybe replacing Ajantis with the dwarf?  In fact, it would be nice to have a backup healer.  Idaen is carrying the full load right now, and half of my spell slots are straight healing spells.  But egh, now's not the time.  The paladin stays and we say bye to Yeslick.

Taking out some gibberlings on my way up.  Why am I still dealing with this??

Quick sidenote:  it's really tricky to give an in-game justification for why most NPCs just stand around for months and months in the same spot you left them when they were told to leave the group.  As you may or may not know, I'm something of a pseudo-roleplayer as I go through this game, so I want most or all of the in-game activity justified in a way cohesive with the game world.  A little difficult to try to come up with an explanation about why a spurned groupmember stays out in the woods indefinitely.  Well, I'm also definite to use the NPC Project mod next time through, and I think that it fixes this problem by having NPCs go to inns or whatnot.

So anyway, we stop in Cloakwood and grab up Coran.  He doesn't seem to mind too much about wyverns anymore...good.  Bigger and better things are happening.  But ouch; only 20 in detect traps.  Pfft, that's not really going to work.  I decided to keep him around as a sixth head until we made it up to Baldur's Gate to get a look at what Tiax's skill is.

Welcome Coran

We headed up through the Woods of Sharp Teeth.  I figure I could get lost in the crowd in Baldur's Gate, maybe slip in and out without anyone noticing.  But it's impossible...a lot of people recognize me.  Sarevok has been running amok, assassinating dukes and making power grabs.  Hmm, maybe I should have came up to the city earlier?  Actually, even if he was a Grand Duke by the time I got up there, my whole plan wouldn't really change.  I'd still march in and try to kill him. And at least then I'd have the experience and treasure of Durlag's Tower under my belt.

This guy wanted to smuggle me into the city.  I thought about it, but declined...smelled like some sort of trap to me.

But this is the way it goes.  I have no intention right off the bat of going to jail, not without a party I'm sure about.  Unfortunately, this means that I have to kill a Flaming Fist Enforcer or two or three on my way to pick up Tiax.  Eventually, I realize I just may get too much blood on my hands.  And now what?  After seeing what I've seen, I can't just leave the city.  Now, for better or worse, is the time to strike.  I let us get arrested before we find Tiax.  Fortunately, Angelo almost immediately lets us go free.  Apparently, this guy is Shar-Teel's father and there are some pangs of guilt in him?  Wasn't explained too well, but I figure I might have missed a thing or two.  He said our equipment was in the basement...but we all still obviously had it on our persons.  Weird (translation...bug or something.  Gotta roll with it).

This definitely doesn't look good to the general public...

So it's on to Tiax.  There are some more Enforcers looking for us around certain corners.  Shrug, I guess I can starting having Xzar or Imoen cast Hold on them or something.  I know that Tiax is evil, so he's not going to care about how despised I am when I eventually catch up to him.  Coran, on the other hand, probably had no idea what he was getting himself into.  He's vocally upset...don't know what to tell him.  Tiax's detect traps skill is 55...not good enough, but it's a start.  Better than Coran and a much better idea than having Shar-Teel dual class at this stage in the game.  I let Coran go...he expresses his regret for ever agreeing to adventure with us and storms off.  I'll probably never see him again.  I pick up Tiax and the group is mildly presentable again.

So that's what we're doing...deep inside the big city, standing outside the Iron Throne building, with a reputation of 1, despised by all.  Part 2 should follow soon.

Party:

Idaen, lvl 7 cleric/lvl 7 ranger
Shar-Teel, lvl 7 fighter
Ajantis, lvl 8 paladin
Tiax, lvl 5 cleric/lvl 6 thief
Imoen, lvl 6 thief>lvl 9 mage
Xzar, lvl 9 necromancer

No comments:

Post a Comment