Saturday, July 3, 2010

The First Dungeon

We progressed deeper into the Nashkel mines. Remember, I made almost a direct line down here as soon as we picked up Jaheira and Khalid. My group is far from anything remotely "experienced." We are all level 1, except Jaheira (2/2). During encounters, I've been having her stay behind the line with a sling (better than a club), while Imoen uses her short bow. The front line is Idaen with a morning star and a shield, Khalid dual-wielding two bastard swords, and Montaron with a small sword and a shield. Xzar generally stays behind and does absolutely nothing.

This really complex battle plan was unsurprisingly less-than-successful in the mines. Between the kobolds and the kobold commandos, Imoen was killed on the third level. After that, the group slowly widdled down...Khalid and then Xzar were the next two to go, also on the third level. I had to return to the surface once to rest, heal, and re-memorize spells. Wow...I really am not prepared for the Nashkel mines, the easiest dungeon in the entire saga...maybe I should have spent some time in Beregost first.


Jaheira, Montaron and the PC were actually doing well for a while. I gave Jaheira her club to use, and we were just three meleers going at it. Sadly, Montaron took a few too many fire arrows to the gut as we approached the fourth level, and also died. After that I decided to retreat for some time. I wasn't willing to go further through the dungeon with no thief, and with only two of us still alive, so it was decided that Idaen and Jaheira would head back to Nashkel to resurrect the characters we could, rest, and return at slightly better strength.

...and that's what almost happened. We were waylaid by half-ogres on our way back, and they managed to kill Jaheira...we were tired, on the run, and outnumbered. I returned to Naskhel having lost 5 of my 6 party members. It must have looked like a grim, stark scene to any onlookers. But not to give up...we made too much headway to turn back now, and Berrun Ghastkill was still expecting answers. At the Temple of Helm, Khalid, Imoen, Montaron, and Jaheira rejoined me. I let Xzar linger in the netherlife for a while longer. He wasn't helping much in the mines, and is too much of a liability at 4hp. We rested for 16 hours to regain full strength, then left south for the second time in a couple days.



No kobolds had returned to the mines, so that's a relief. We didn't have any trouble clearing the fourth level out, then headed down further. Took it very slow, very quiet, looking for the traps the whole way, and eventually met an elf named Xan. He was investigating the mining problems as well, but was captured and held against his will...he offered to join with us, but we were full, so I sent him on his way. Next was Mulahey, and this turned out to be a long, fierce battle, owing most to the horde of kobolds and skeletons that seemed to come out of the wall. But, we came out alive, and found out more about this gentleman's organization. Even pointed to someone named Tranzig staying in Beregost.

We didn't leave the mines the same way we came in, and ended up out somewhere east of Nashkel. A pack of wild dogs attacked us; the five of us were mostly at half-health, and before I knew what was happening, they ripped Jaheira to shreds. This is now the second time she's died. I had tried retreating back into the mines, but the path was blocked off. Damn...what a way to go.

It was the morning and we camped out and rested for the day. As soon as the late afternoon came, we began our journey back west. I wanted to get a quick look around the surrounding area, but very quickly we ran into a group of four women that immediately began to attack us. I saw flame arrows, and at least two mages, and knew immediately we would die if we stayed to fight. We fled, but I want to know who these attackers were.

Back in town, it seemed like the mayor and commoners were appropriately satisfied. I resurrected and welcomed back Jaheira and Xzar, the headed to the inn to rest some more and figure out our next move. Hmm, a man named Nimbul attacks...the Amnish guards help dispose of him and we find another letter from Tazok, this one specifically requesting our deaths...

So what to do? I had six group members die in the adventure in the mines, and I don't think I'm ready to be confronting any sinister organization right now, especially in busy, crowded places. Nimbul was sent to attack us because of what we did in the mines, and they knew we were in Nashkel...right now, I'm thinking the best plan is to head southeast towards the mountains and stay out of the populated areas until we gain more experience and maybe figure out what is going on. Maybe those women that attacked the group know something? But I doubt we can take them on at this point.

So we got out of the city as soon as we could, and headed south again. I might get some more information by luring some more bounty hunters out in the open? They haven't been a terrible challenge so far, and I know Prism was talking about one...unfortunately he is too focused on his work and I can barely even speak to him. Welp, I guess that's that. I head east, camp again, and prepare to spend some time out in the wilderness.

My party:

Idaen, lvl 2 cleric/lvl 1 ranger
Khalid, lvl 1 fighter
Montaron, lvl 1 fighter/lvl 1 thief
Jaheira, lvl 2 fighter/lvl 2 druid
Imoen, lvl 2 thief
Xzar, lvl 1 necromancer

1 comment:

  1. Good blog man keep it up, i as well started a new bg tutu game planning on playing right through to TOB. i literally did the same thing you did, first party went down south far to early,wasn't working well, dieing literally every fight, totally crashed and burned.

    Started new game yesterday this time did quests around friendly arms inn and begrost (keeping my party at 4) got to lv 3 rather quickly then moved down south. Things are going alot smoother this time around i must say.

    Still not as smooth as im used to amazing how much modern games have become so dumb down...it's refreshing having a challenge again.

    Anyways man thought it was rather amusing you started up a bg tutu game around exact same time i did and are going through same shit. i will keep checking out your progress from time time, mabye pick up some pointers ...lol

    gl

    --
    mike C

    ReplyDelete