Friday, November 26, 2010

The Hunt for Valygar Spirals Out of Control

Here we are in the Umar Hills.  We heard of some grotesque murders taking place, and how a band of adventurers is needed to figure out what's going on.  Well, I'm not one to discount fate if it's punching us in the face.  And besides, I still feel a little out of my element in Athkatla.  It's no Baldur's Gate, that's for sure.  Outside the city in the Umar Hills has the frontierish, Sword Coast feel (although I know that nothing in Amn is really a frontier).  But this is a small village where I can make a name for myself by helping out some defenseless civilians...that's right up my alley.


I check out the entire area.  I try to bring the band of refugee monsters up to speed with the mayor...that should work out nicely.  Find a cave, but not much in it (except for some "mimic blood"?  I'm going to hold on to that).  Find the ranger cabin, which points me in the direction of some temple ruins to the north.  Also been hearing about this adventurer Mazzy Fentan.  Sounds like a solid enough character.

Then, last but not least, I find the cabin of Valygar Corthala.  There were some other rangers outside, keeping guard.  I told them I had nothing to do with the Cowled Wizards, but unfortunately they did not believe me.  Either way, Nalia casting Horror took care of that fight, for the most part.  I went to confront Valygar, and got the whole story from him.  His body is the key to gaining entry to the giant planar sphere in the Athkatla slums.  That's why he's wanted by the Cowled Wizards.  Although I believed him, nothing he said did anything to sway me.  I have much more going on right now, and looting a necromancer's spaceship for whatever treasure he might have is low on the priority list.  Plus, I'm still trying to gain the favor of the Cowled Wizards...I want to carry out this task for them like I said I would.  I even have a feeling that they could possibly enlist MY help to explore the sphere, in which case it's win-win for me.  In case you don't see what this is leading up to, I killed Valygar and began to haul his body around.  I'm not ashamed of this, though it's one more NPC that I have to cross off the list of possible companions (Viconia and Jaheira are the other ones...one deceased and one just no longer trusted).

But since I'm out in the Umar Hills, I may as well solve whatever problems they're facing.  I like to be out of city anyway...as I said a paragraph or two ago, it brings me back to my glory days on the Sword Coast.  I rest in the inn, talk to Vincenzo about the Umar Witch Project, and head to the temple ruins.

Shade wolves and shadows are really no trouble for my group, even though there's only four of us.  I think I saw a Werewolf of some kind once I entered the forest, but who knows.  I went into the wolf cave, and nothing was there.  I descended into the temple ruins, had some trouble with skeleton warriors, rescued and enlisted Mazzy, and heard stories about sun gods and shade lords and shadow dragons.  Dragons?  Man...I need to rest and heal before I go any further.  So I actually returned to the wolf cave and spent 16 hours there.

I'm in too deep not to return to the temple now.  Five of us, at least.  Mazzy is ++++ with short bows and only ++ with short swords.  I really want her to be a tank, but she's level 9 so I'm not going to get another proficiency point for a little while.  Still thinking about how to use her most effectively.  Here's the party:

Idaen, lvl 9 cleric/lvl 8 ranger
Korgan, lvl 9 berserker
Mazzy, lvl 9 fighter
Yoshimo, lvl 11 bounty hunter
Nalia, lvl 4 thief>lvl 10 mage

No comments:

Post a Comment