Sunday, May 1, 2011

Getting Out of the City for a Few Days, and Jaheira/Aerie Drama

As I said, I'm still here.  Took a hiatus, but I'm back.  Where did we leave off?  Well, just read that last post.  But in short (and from what I remember), I took offense to doing all of Aran Linvail's dirty work during his guild war, and figured I'd be able to get help from someone else as to the whereabouts of Imoen.  However, in the previous week or two, I investigated a murderer who was skinning people in the Bridge District...turned out he had a connection to the Umar Hills in some form or another.  Since I am the ranger-protector of that area, I'd have been lax in my duties not to travel up there and check it out.  I couldn't put it off any longer.

So...that's what I did.  Went up to Imnesvale with some clues in hand about buying a book from a stranger, then stating his real name.  Although, when we got up there, we didn't hear much about any murders...we just heard of a Lord Igen destroying the forest in a search for mithril.  No problem; I'll take care of it by any means possible.  I get an awkward silence from both Mairyn the forest spirit and the mayor of Imnesvale, but that's what they signed on for when they made me the ranger-protector.  I'm not an average ranger.


But before I head out to the forest to the north, I have something of a "blowout" with Aerie.  Again, she complains about her lack of wings.  I mean, still with this?  Kind of one-note, Aerie.  Politely as I can, I tell her she just needs to accept it.  She freaks out, but what I can do?  Any kind of possible romance is over, it seems.  At least she stays in the group...


A few moments later I find the Bridge District murderer's buddy.  I buy the correct book, but I botch guessing his true name.  He's spooked and makes a quick exit.  Will I see him again?  I have no idea, but at least he's out of the Hills.  That's what I came here for, after all.  Although now I have a new mission:  protect the forest, so we make the short trip up there.  I don't like the attitude that Igen is giving me, so we exchange some words and throw down the gauntlet.  In a few seconds, his entire party is dead.  The quickest solution, I think.  You don't mess around in *my* woods and live to talk about it.  I'm a Bhaalspawn, and not one to deny my nature.

So on the return trip, Aerie kind of apologizes for the outburst and says that she will "try" to just continue on.  Sounds good enough for me.  I feel like I have infinite patience with her [although the several-month break I took definitely helped this...I remember her getting on my last nerves back in January].  Either way, I'm always going to find ways to justify keeping a cleric/mage multiclass.

Back to Athkatla it is.  I was able to get my head straight about how to solve this Imoen situation.  I'll try getting the Harpers' help...failing that, the Temples' help.  If that doesn't work out either, I'm out of options and I'm going to have to kill Aran's vampire for him.  Unfortunately, things go south quickly with the Harpers.  I speak to Jaheira...she had left my group approximately two weeks ago on her own accord (for Harper business), while we were camped outside of the de'Arnise Keep immediately after killing the troll invaders.  I considered this mutiny at the time, so I quickly replaced her and got on with my own business.  But somehow, her version of the story is that I wronged her.  I can only be honest with her...and that leads to the end of the relationship completely.


Soooo, let's see if the Temples can help me (of course, after I help them).  The next day I head back down to the sewers to investigate the Cult of the Unseeing Eye, a quest I had just began to get into a week or so earlier.  Even run into the paladin Keldorn...no room for him at this time, but he told us to seek him out in his Paladin's hall in the future.

There you have it!  Here's the party breakdown:

Idaen, lvl 9 cleric/lvl 9 ranger
Korgan, lvl 10 berserker
Minsc, lvl 8 ranger
Yoshimo, lvl 13 bounty hunter
Nalia, lvl 4 thief>lvl 11 mage
Aerie, lvl 9 cleric/lvl 10 mage

1 comment:

  1. Not accepting Aran's quest for investigating his guild was a mistake. You will be unable to recruit Edwin and allowing another thieves guild infiltrate in the city is even worse for a ranger do-gooder.

    ReplyDelete